[Tig] Archiving (was Re: Holographic Drive at NAB)

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Wed Apr 23 19:37:54 BST 2008

On Apr 23, 2008, at 7:40 PM, Ted Langdell wrote:

> It's interesting that people in different disciplines are asking
> similar questions at the same time and having a similar discussion.
>
> Re: hard drive storage conditions
> http://lsv.uky.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0804&L=amia-l&D=0&O=D&P=20816

Hi Ted,  I think their discipline is our discipline, and the
unification of disciplines has been a trend for some time now; so let
us be called disciplinarians, or at least disciples of discipline.

Unification of desktop software<->mainframe apps<->multiprocessor
software<->(often obsolete) dedicated soft-hardware solutions; it's a
miasma.   And see what open source is doing: providing an alternate
track (Fedora, OpenSolaris) for Enterprise (business) software for
improvement, as the communities working on the open source become
larger and more involved.

I'm experimenting now with running Solaris on a MacBook Pro, in a
Virtual Machine, such that I can start understanding some of the
points Bob Friesenhahn is talking about.  (though I'm an old solaris
hand it was 3 full versions ago since I'd used it).

Aspersions to Domination as applies to Discipline need be directed
elsewhere.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org    http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html