[Tig] Archiving (was Re: Holographic Drive at NAB)

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Apr 24 02:15:09 BST 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Jean-Francois Panisset wrote:

> There was an interesting paper at the USENIX 08 storage conference
> about an academic system called Pergamum:
>
> http://www.usenix.org/events/fast08/tech/storer.html
>
> which talked about building very cheap, very power efficient storage
> nodes which could be used to replace tape archiving. Given the low

While I am not sure if it can be called "cheap", there is a device
which satisfies many of these goals using commodity hardware and it is
nicknamed "Thumper".  Up to 48TB in a 4U rack space with a built-in
computer. See http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4500/ for info.  Make
sure to visit the "gallery" section of the page.

With a few systems like this on hand, you can store a lot of data with
very high reliability.  Not what you want to put in a storage vault
though.

I am not affiliated with Sun in any way except for by being a
satisfied customer.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn