[Tig] Archiving From Holographic to Bubbles!

Peter Swinson peter_swinson at compuserve.com
Thu Apr 24 18:56:42 BST 2008

Forgive my ancient love affair with film but what happened to the research
into using film as a digital archive.
My view goes as follows.

Film DIGITAL ARCHIVE (B/W Polyester silver based stock)
35mm fine grain B/W polyester stock. Should offer at least 50Mbyte per 4
perf frame, based on the capabilities of regular low speed motion picture
color film stock.
At 15 frames/foot that's  750Mbyte/foot. Or 750Gb per thousand feet. Not as
good a packing density as Hard disks, but with a known life exceeding 100
years.
Now assuming we can print at 1000ft/min, then duping this archive material
offers speeds of 12.5Gb/second.

DIGITAL VERSITILE FILM
35mm (DVFilm) Cranking up the possibilities. Could a similar "linear"
material  act as a linear sheet of laser recorded medium. Effectively a
linear DVD,  Comparing surface areas of a regular DVD and that of a S35mm
film active area should offer 100's of Mbytes per frame.

HOLOFILM
Same 35mm surface area. I don't know what the holographic packing density
would be, but I guess rather high. If silver based stock then again we have
a +100 year longevity.

I have no doubt all these observations have been covered elsewhere, and
died various deaths.

Perhaps we should revert to Bubble memory.  Ah, those were the days!

Of course the BRRE (Bubble Rise Rate Effect), so heavily studied here on
the TIG, by many stalwarts should help in any bubble memory research.
Despite most of the BRRE experiments having a negative effect on any
memory.  Is there a case for Bubble Archive Research , and Bubble
Encapsulations Effortlessly Read  (BAR BEER). Volunteers required; to test
the effects of beer bubble memories.

BTW. Regarding Hard disk failures. I was told that platter motor shaft
bearing failure was common if disks were left unused for some time,
something about oil draining from shaft bearings. This is at odds with info
I once saw that said Hard disks use a magnetized oil that is retained by a
slight permanent magnetic field around the bearing. Field too low of course
to effect the data. Anyone know anything about this. I think I saw the info
at the London Science Museum.

Cheers

Peter