[Tig] NTSC to PAL-M

Dave Corbitt DCorbitt77 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 2 11:41:05 BST 2008

Rob,

I would think most facilities no longer post in Composite so it should
not be an issue in SDI. For PAL-M and NTSC, the SDI signal is
identical. If all post is done in SDI or HD-SDI, then the transition to
analog composite wouldn't happen until all post work is done and ready
for analog transmission (which I assume still exists in Brasil?) For
SDI work in Brasil a 525 master is just sent through an encoder just as
it would be in an NTSC country except the color information is encoded
a little differently. In the SDI world there is no NTSC, PAL-M, PAL, or
SECAM. And an NTSC HDCAM? If you are working in HD, then it has to be
downconverted to create a composite sub-master anyway. So if you want
to use the NTSC output of an HDCAM, then you will incur all the losses
of a dual conversion from the original HD format to NTSC, then PAL-M.
since both PAL-M and NTSC are at the same line and field rate, the
losses are minimal (no line interpolation or field interpolation) but
there will be crosscolor and dot crawl issues due to the different
frequency and manner of encoding the color subcarrier. Can you not use
the SDI output of the HDCAM if you are working in 525 SD and encode to
PAL-M after the post work is done?

I hope this is what you were aiming at but may have missed your point
on this.

Dave Corbitt
HBO Studios
New York