[Tig] 24p frame rate

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Mon Aug 4 16:35:48 BST 2008

>The world has become accustomed to 24p production

I think it would be more accurate to say that the world has been pushed into
24p production by the sheer number of people with film production backgrounds
who have voluntarily or otherwise jumped into digital video.

After that, the format was enthusiastically adopted by people who never shot
film, would never get to shoot film, but worshipped at its altar anyway, and
saw their opportunity to shoot just like the big boys and girls.

I shoot a lot of stuff at 24p, almost all of it for eventual video
distribution, and almost none of it benefits a whit from the format. I just
worked on a sketch comedy show where we went back and forth between shooting
24p and 60i, and not one person calling out the format changes could explain
the reasoning behind the 24p. And humorously, the people on the set couldn't
stand watching at 24p (48i, really), and I had to use 3:2 pulldown inserters
so they could watch 60i. Sketch comedy at 24p destroys the concept before the
first joke, but following my number one rule of production (Do the best you
can for people, then give the bastards what they want), I just smiled and
switched the cameras over.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTEĀ® compositing.