[Tig] 24p frame rate

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Tue Aug 5 02:34:16 BST 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Bob Kertesz wrote:

> I shoot a lot of stuff at 24p, almost all of it for eventual video
> distribution, and almost none of it benefits a whit from the format.

I have a hard time watching Rachael Ray's "30 Minute Meals" now that
it's shot at a non-NTSC frame rate with a "film look" style of
lighting.  It was an intermittent usage of non-NTSC for some
episodes, while others were NTSC.

The non-NTSC looks "off," to me, likely because of what Marc said:

On Aug 1, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Marc Wielage wrote:

> I think the basic deal is that 24fps is more suited to dramatic
> productions,
> because it has a kind of an "unreal" quality to it.  On some gut
> level,
> we're so accustomed to seeing feature films at this rate, our
> brains kick in
> and say, "hey -- this is a movie."
>
> But when we see 30fps, the same part of our brains say, "ah -- this
> is a TV
> show."  Or at least a live event, a documentary... something that's
> supposed
> to mirror reality.

My brain's used to five or six years of nicely done NTSC, and I have
to work at trying to look beyond the frame rate to lock onto the
content... often without success.  My mind's busy analyzing the
show's technical parameters rather than absorbing what Rachael's
trying to demonstrate.

The motion judder annoys me.

Makes me wonder whether there's been any viewer level changes since
they changed the frame rate... or does the average viewer consciously
notice?

Giada De Laurentiis' "Everyday Italian" was—iirc—one of Food
Network's first uses of non-NTSC frame rate. I had a hard time at
first,  and since I've not seen it at any other frame rate, it's not
quite as distracting as trying to watch "30 M M."

And I've noticed that "Good Eats" has also gone non-NTSC on a number
of new episodes.

All three shows have great content and hosts, production, post and
color work. Just an annoying frame rate.

Comparing theatrical presentations, has anyone on the list
experienced Douglas Trumbull's 60fps, 65mm Showscan?  How'd that
compare to 24fps repeated two or three times per frame?

Ted

Ted Langdell
tedlangdell.com, flashscan8.us and QuadVideoTapeGroup.com