[Tig] Upconvert experiences (TIG)

Terry Lockhart terry at finishedit.com
Thu Aug 7 14:37:03 BST 2008

Hi Rob:

I have a Teranex Mini, and I'm really impressed with its performance,
within its design limitations. We use it from time to time to
upconvert graded film from our Ursa Diamond/daV2kPlus, and it
actually looks very nice. Soft, of course, but nice. One time we even
had to do a quick fix intercutting Ursa with real s16 HD out of
ARRIscan (due to an untimely lack of a 16mm Arri gate), and we got
away with it by applying a little detail enhancement.

So if you can tolerate its 4frame delay (it does pass thru the vitc
and embedded audio in sync) and the absence of any 23.98p(sf) modes I
would recommend the Mini UPC-4f.  Probably well worth the extra $$
over the 2frame process in the Mini UPC-2f, which doesn't apply the
more sophisticated de-interlace process needed for 3:2 material.

In fact we usually find that the Mini does a better job upconverting
SD-originated output from our Smoke than rendering the HD conversion
directly out of Smoke, and it's a time saver too.

No experience with the FS-1, I'll be interested to hear more about
that from others.

Hope this helps

--
Terry Lockhart
Chief Engineer/IT manager

direct/vm 617 850 6133
main  617 292 0082 or 850 6100
fax   617 292 0083
cel 617 775 3195
<terry at finishedit.com>
<www.finishedit.com>

"What this country needs are more unemployed politicians."
-- Edward Langley

Message: 5