[Tig] The noise within.

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Aug 8 14:27:20 BST 2008

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Peter Swinson wrote:

> Seems we now want to get rid of all the "noise" just to pump more signal
> down he narrrow pipe!  Has it ever been proposed taht as we remove
> granularity prior to transmission, that a grain emulator be built into
> display devices to try to reintroduce stocastic resonance?

At the Hollywood Post tech retreat I went to a few years back, one of
the topics presented was regarding grain removal, followed by
subsequent emulated grain insertion in the receiver.  Various forms of
grain were classified prior to removal so that they could be emulated
by the receiver.

In a recent WideScreen Review issue, there is a technical article
which describes why noise is good and how it can be used to cover up
quantization noise.  Once posterization or banding are already
present, noise insertion no longer works.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn