[Tig] Upconvert experiences (TIG)

Terry Lockhart terry at finishedit.com
Fri Aug 8 19:02:46 BST 2008

Hi Ted:

Yes, we have the UDCSN model, with all the trimmings. NR works pretty
well, if you can take the point of view of a point and shoot camera
user. Three overall levels of reduction, no threshold or other fine
tweaks. There is also a setting to optimize process parameters for
frame-based(film) or interlaced (video) material. To quote form the
manual <http://www.teranex.com/products/Manuals.cfm>:

This Noise Reducer is a motion adaptive temporal recursive filter
that removes random and
Gaussian noise. Each pixel is labeled as motion, no motion, or noise.
Each of these classes of
pixels is treated differently in the noise reduction process. For
pixels in which there is no
motion, low-level Gaussian noise may be reduced via temporal
processing by a weighted
averaging over successive frames. For pixels labeled as random noise,
spatial processing
replaces these pixels. Pixels labeled as being ‘in motion’ are
retained unchanged to avoid
artifacts may be introduced through temporal processing.
- Off: Disables the noise reduction filter.
- Low: Enables the Temporal Recursive Filter in the Low Noise Mode.
- Med: Enables the Temporal Recursive Filter in the Medium Noise Mode.
- Hi: Enables the Temporal Recursive Filter in the High Noise Mode.

Also has a split-screen mode for checking the results.

Too bad it only works on 59.94/50 material. If it would just do
23.98psf I'd be ecstatic. So we have not used it a whole lot for that
purpose. Another caveat is there is no ability to change aspect
without changing signal format, ie no 480-->480, 720-->720, 1080--
 >1080.  This seems really stupid to me, but I'm sure they have some
reason other than oversight. NR, enhance, and proc amp do work
without format change, though.

All things considered, I think the Mini is a good value quality wise,
but not a flexible as the less expensive AJA box.

later

Disclaimer- no interest in yaddada yaddada, etc., etc.
--
Terry Lockhart
Chief Engineer/IT manager

direct/vm 617 850 6133
main  617 292 0082 or 850 6100
fax   617 292 0083
cel 617 775 3195
<terry at finishedit.com>
<www.finishedit.com>

"What this country needs are more unemployed politicians."
-- Edward Langley