[Tig] fleshtone unification

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Sat Aug 9 20:49:48 BST 2008

On Aug 9, 2008, at 10:31 PM, Bob Festa wrote:

> All,
>
> I think Rob's 6 vector mashing is a good jiffy fix to wildly
> fluctuating flesh-tones. However, I think this technique has a
> tendency to make your image all "Q axis" and somewhat sepia in
> nature. Your really taking three vectors and mainlining them into one.

good point, however, ...

> Are the SMPTE CRT Phosphors one dimensional enough without this
> technique?

I'm using EBU phosphors, and there doesn't seem to be much difference
though between
S and E.

I didn't mean to say I was into making a complete unification, rather,
a more intimate joining,
rather than the wild splaying that you describe Bob.  (i leave the LCD
question to others).

The thing is, as you and I speculated often in the past, there are
different geographical norms
in terms of acceptable fleshtone.  Remember when we'd get NY clients,
and they were disturbed
by fleshtone of the George Hamilton type?  example: put GH and Woody
Allen in the same shot,
without makeup, and then, are the clients from LA, or from NY?  NY is
more Woody, LA is more George.

Here in Europe, I'm seeing a decided different fleshtone for shots
than in Brasil or LA, and am adjusting
to client wishes, as they see flesh in real life.

regards
Rob
--
Rob Lingelbach