[Tig] A small anecdote ...

Cem Ozkilicci cemoz101 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 18:48:44 BST 2008

Here's a small anecdote that made me think ...

On my way back from a trip back from the U.S, I was staring fairly irritatedly at a film that was being played on 3 separate types of displays. Next to me were your average American elderly couple, mid-80s early 90s, retired and has seen their great grand children. They were from Columbus, Ohio on their way to Romania for 2 weeks ....

I seized the opportunity to test the visual and perceptive acuity of Betty, who was knitting a scarf for her long-life companion sleeping next. "Betty? Are you watching the film?" I asked, "Yes dear" she replied. After finding out that she was not colour blind, I then asked whether or not she noticed something different about the displays (One LCD Monitor, One CRT Monitor and One Projector that was clearly in need of calibration!). She said that the projector looked unsharp and that the lcd was too small and dark to see and that the only one that she could feel comfortable watching the film on was the CRT set (which looked in pretty decent shape I must add).

Remarkable also was the fact that she did not perceive the INCREDIBLE shift of hue and colour balance on the projector! Or if she indeed had perceived it, noted it as an "unsharpness" rather than an unbalance in the colour.

I need a hobby...!

Cem Ozkilicci
Colourist on the move ...