[Tig] OT : CG on Olympics ceremony

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Fri Aug 15 15:08:10 BST 2008

On Aug 15, 2008, at 12:32 AM, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> there was something fishy about the Beijing Olympics' aerial shots
> of the coordinated fireworks displays.   No smog, and some kind of
> surreal quality.   Most of us probably know by now that the whole
> thing was CG, which NBC didn't bother to tell anyone.
>
> here's more to the story:
> http://tinyurl.com/6caan9
>
> I wonder who did the grading?

Just the footprints were CGI, added at the "right moment."

The UK Telegraph's Richard Spencer writes from Bejing:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/2534499/Beijing-
Olympic-2008-opening-ceremony-giant-firework-footprints-faked.html

"The fireworks were there for real, outside the stadium. But those
responsible for filming the extravaganza decided in advance it would
be impossible to capture all 29 footprints from the air.

As a result, only the last, visible from the camera stands inside the
Bird's Nest was captured on film. "

Wonder how long before the competition itself is "virtual." And how
much longer people who ought to know better are going to "film"
something without film!

Even Gao Xiaolong, the guy who headed the animation team can't get it
straight:

"Seeing how it worked out, it was still a bit too bright compared to
the actual fireworks," he said. "But most of the audience thought it
was filmed live - so that was mission accomplished."

The stories I've read aren't clear about the process used.  Would be
interesting to know more about that, particularly whether this was
CGI over helicopter footage recorded earlier, CGI over live or
totally CGI.

Next thing ya know... there'll be an Olympic CGI event.

Ted Langdell
tedlangdell.com