[Tig] Copyright Issues with Demo Reels

Ed Colman ed at superdailies.com
Sun Aug 31 02:32:43 BST 2008

Greetings everyone.

Does anyone have any information/experience/thoughts about using
footage to construct demo reels. I am in the process of assembling a
'colorist reel' of various projects we have worked on throughout the
past year. Do people usually have to obtain permission to use short
excerpts for their reels. Who would you get the permission from?
Production Company? Agency? Client? Is there an accepted custom in the
industry that such obviously copyrighted material can be used for demo
purposes. Anyone been sued over demo reel footage? Would the rules be
different for an individual (DP, Director, Colorist) versus a company
(Production Company, Post Facility). Clearly everyone makes demo
reels, but has anyone experienced any "issues"?  Inquiring minds want
to  know.

Sincerely,

Ed Colman, President
SuperDailies, Inc.
Cinematographer Supervised Video Dailies
www.superdailies.com