[Tig] OT: color space in Photoshop, from Nikon NEF.

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Tue Dec 2 17:20:31 GMT 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 4:19 AM, Shane Bartley wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> I too noticed a difference between Photoshop and Preview for my
> jpgs. I
> realised I hadn't checked the box to 'Embed Color Profile' into the
> file, it
> seems to default to an unchecked state. So always remember to check
> the
> embed color profile box in your save dialog! This should clear up your
> saturation problems.

Hi Shane,

Actually I use the Embed CP, and the differences I see are not between
Photoshop and Preview.app; these look very similar when displaying what
I've saved as a jpg with sRGB applied.  It's when I look at the image
in a
web browser (Firefox) that it changes, and so it might be HTML
limitations,
as Bob Friesenhahn and Joe Owens pointed out.   I've found the color
management setting for Firefox (it's off by default) and have turned
it on
for testing.  I'll also compare with Opera, Safari, Camino, et al.
(I knew
there was eventually going to be a reason to keep those browsers on the
machine.)  Also am looking into the Rendering Intent options BF
mentioned.

Rendering Intent: backpacking your Final Cut into the wilderness...

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org    http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html