[Tig] HDSR RGB vs YUV

Kevin Shaw kevs at finalcolor.com
Mon Dec 8 07:55:08 GMT 2008

Well said Bob!

I have always been concerned that too much emphasis has been placed on pixel
resolution, and that 10 bit log is considered ³uncompressed²

To get from 14 bits (film) to 10 bits is mathematically a 16:1 compression,
predominantly in the highlights. If you count the steps that means 10 bit
has 1024 steps per color compared to 16384 in 14 bit ­ so over 15000 steps
are lost. The argument that ³most of that information is unwanted² is pretty
weak in my opinion.

I was hoping that the move to data would gradually eliminate the old ³real
time video² limitations. But I fear this is another example of the railways
being based on the size of a Roman cart horse :-)

Happy Coloring
Kevin

Kevin Shaw                 freelance consultant colorist
kevs at finalcolor.com          www.finalcolor.com