[Tig] semi OT: # of cameras on Ed Sullivan

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Fri Dec 12 20:53:34 GMT 2008

with nothing more interesting to do, I watched in more detail the
Beatles' first Ed Sullivan appearance in February, 1964.  I mapped out
the shots and cameras, and decided there were at least 4 cameras used,
perhaps 5, in this live broadcast.  If 4 cameras, then the reframing
was more complex, but it could have been done.  If 5, then easier for
the Technical Director, but it was a bravura performance by the crew,
and the Technical Director should have received an award.  1 rehearsal
only?

For Beatles afficionados,  I have just _She Loves You_ mapped out for
now, which I think was the 2nd tune on the show.  For camerawork
aficionados, the first 23 seconds are on Camera 1.  4-shot, move to 3-
shot, move to 2-shot, move to CU (Paul), pull slightly back for 2-shot
stage right (Paul and George).  Cut to 3-shot from Camera 2, stage
left, first time we see John other than 4-shot wide.  etc. etc. (the
rest of this I can provide on request).

I find it strange that at least on this tune, there was only 1 CU of
John.  Definitely under-represented he was.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org    http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html