[Tig] semi OT: # of cameras on Ed Sullivan

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Fri Dec 12 23:27:25 GMT 2008

On 12/12/08 12:53 PM, "Rob Lingelbach" <rob at colorist.org> wrote:

> I mapped out
> the shots and cameras, and decided there were at least 4 cameras used,
> perhaps 5, in this live broadcast.  If 4 cameras, then the reframing
> was more complex, but it could have been done.
>------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

My memory is that the SULLIVAN show normally used just four Marconi B&W
image orthicon cameras (one on a small crane, three on standard pedestals),
but they used a fifth camera (I think a Norelco) as a B&W handheld on a
couple of audience shots.  The handheld was a last-minute addition, possibly
the decision of director Tim Kiley.

SULLIVAN went color in 1965, using Norelco PC-60 plumbicon cameras. I knew
all this stuff when I was 10, watching the show on CBS, but I was TV-crazy
even back then.

--Marc Wielage/Senior Colorist
Technicolor Creative Services
Hollywood, USA

NOTE:  The comments above are strictly mine, and may not necessarily
represent those of my employers.