[Tig] Digital Black

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Dec 19 19:57:01 GMT 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, rlovejoy at comcast.net wrote:

> Bob, can you point us to some links or info on the new "alternative"
> patterns? (That's what they called me in the sixties and
> seventies... I like "alternative"!)

Joe Kane included one or two of these on his "Digital Video
Essentials" DVD.  The problem he needed to solve is that some DVD
players are not willing/able to output below black although they do
observe correct black setup.  The alternative Pluge is not as accurate
as a true Pluge but it helps you guess better.

> I feel like I have a handle on the situation now, and I thank my
> fellow TIGgers. Unfortunately, I am realizing now that PLUGE is
> obsolete, so I am eagerly awaiting its replacement.

I don't think that Pluge is obsolete yet.

Note that without a black video setup which is above zero, you can not
possibly go "below black".

As I pointed out to Rob in private email, even with digital the analog
world has not actually gone away.  CRT is still analog and even LCD is
analog.  The only true digital display technology I am aware of is DLP
(or similar technologies) and even then the wavering light signal can
be seen as a form of analog.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn