[Tig] Dark transfers on Cinemax?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Dec 24 17:56:27 GMT 2008

Does anyone know why film transfers are much darker on Cinemax than on
all the other networks?  The blacks are crushed.  Hair looks like a
pool of black.  Detail in shadows are lost.  This only applies to
transfers of feature films.  The other content on Cinemax looks fine.

When I first saw this on Cinemax I thought that maybe my TV was
failing but am reassured by correct appearance on all the other major
networks.  For example, transfers on HDNet and Showtime always look
correct.  This problem has existed for most of the year.

I don't want to adjust the black level on my TV just for Cinemax.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn