[Tig] DTV assignments antenna work may be good business

DCFWTX at aol.com DCFWTX at aol.com
Mon Feb 11 22:01:46 GMT 2008

In a message dated 2/11/2008 1:35:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ted at tedlangdell.com writes:

> There are few VHF DTV's because the VHF frequencies are currently in
> use by analog stations or are vacant as protection for other analog
> stations in adjacent markets.

It appears from what I've read, that the stations in the best DTV situation,
based on transmitter power consumption and ease of reception for DTV, are in
the VHF high band, channels 7-13. UHF transmitters require a lot more power
than their VHF counterparts. The VHF low band, channels 2-6, are much more prone
to man made interference, and troposcatter and long range skip. I believe that
there are a few on low band DTV now (WBBM channel 3 Chicago?). The analog
gulf coast stations, such as KPRC channel 2 and WESH channel 2, have battled for
years with skip interference, especially in the warm spring days, when a
distant station can totally take out a local channel 2, as is the case regularly in
Houston. Even one time here in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles, KPRC
completely took out KNXT channel 2 to a point that they had to tell their Los
Angeles viewers what the problem was, one afternoon in the 80's! So it appears
that low band VHF will not support any DTV, in my opinion.

There is a guy in the Midwest with an interesting TV DX page regarding
distant reception of digital TV. http://pages.cthome.net/fmdx/.

Certainly, when analog TV goes dark, it will be very interesting to see how
many people are prepared.

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archive Videotape Re-mastering