[Tig] How to do the SD to Film?

Mikko Kuutti mikko.kuutti at sea.fi
Tue Feb 26 12:08:36 GMT 2008

This of course isn't an issue in this case since the source is 25 fps.

I'm not really the expert on current de-interlacing techniques (my
experience in this matter is from about 6 years back) but I think a
reverse pull-down could be combined with the de-interlacing.

De-interlacing is really a bastard to do properly, and I hope there
exist by now good solutions that use motion estimation and the works
to make use of both fields. Back when I was dealing with it, the
solution that produced most consistent results was to simply chuck
every other field away. This gives a full 288 lines of information and
you can image how that looks on film at worst. This is where a good up-
rezing algorithm steps in to save the day.

Mikko

Mikko Kuutti
Deputy Director
National Audiovisual Archive (former Finnish Film Archive)
Pursimiehenkatu 29-31 A / P.O. Box 177, FI-00151 Helsinki, Finland
tel. +358 9 6154 0254, mobile +358 40 900 0455