[Tig] Color correction with DS Nitris

Pascal NOWAK pacoul at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 29 08:59:13 GMT 2008

Sean, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.
I will keep your email in mind all over the project and in particular in the next 24 hours I get to learn the machine.
I will be more than interested if you go on about the differences between the 2 machines and if you think the list doesn't want to hear it (which is not true in my opinion), feel free to do it privately.

Reagrds,

Pascal Nowak.

> Message du 28/02/08 22:04
> De : "Seán Travers"
> A : "Pascal NOWAK"
> Copie à : tig at tig.colorist.org
> Objet : Re: [Tig] Color correction with DS Nitris
>
> We have a lustre and a DS Nitris here so I've a pretty good idea of the strengths of each.
Without getting in to too much detail:

Think of the colour tools on the DS as being separate effects that sit on top of each other and dont concatenate in timeline mode.

Unlike the 12 secondaries on the lustre that all work as one, as you add additional secondary effects on the DS they only work on the results of the last sec, if you want to pick a colour from the base grade you would be better off building an additional second selective in the "effects Tree" of the first selective.

If you clip on a lower effect you wont be able to bring the clipped detail back down with a later effect/grade.

For power windows style work I use the Graphics tool because you can paint or use animated shapes with a primary colour corrector, the Graphics tool has a steep learning curve that might be tricky.

There's no framestore/gradebin as such so you should create a bin and drag from the little happy colour icon to the bin or to a user bar, holding down shift to rename.

If you want to do the A/B playhead style comparison on shots far apart use mark in and mark out and then toggle between the frames. Or use the comparison buffer (right click in the viewer and grab, then jump to the next shot and move the wipe around), or use reference TC in the three up view in the corrector.

The DS does have individual controls for saturation and contrast in the low, mids and highs unlike the lustre which only has overall controls in the input grade.

You can do some amazingly complex grades by using the effect tree in the DS but thats getting in to pretty advanced ground (if you need to use holdout mattes on VFX I would use the effects tree), I use the effects tree on every DS job.

I could really go on and on about the differences, pluses and minuses etc all day but the list probably dosent want to hear it all, so I leave it there.

I like both systems.

Seán Travers
Pixel Pusher
Shaman Digital Media