[Tig] Nazi "TV"

James Snyder tig060819SA at dtvexpress.net
Fri Mar 21 05:22:01 GMT 2008

The films in this program were genuine.

Early television used film as production medium for most regular
transmissions since film could be pre-produced, edited, and could
take a lot more light than the people of the day so film images could
be copied on to the relatively insensitive TV cameras of the day.  As
the documentary mentioned, the images reproduced there were from 254
reels of 35mm film that were produced for the station.  They would
have been telecined into a Nipkow camera for transmission over the
German television station.

The one error was the assertion that the German TV station was the
first one to do regular broadcasting.  A number of stations were on
the air, both experimentally and full time, in the 1920s, including
W2XBS (the RCA station hosted at WEAF/WJZ), W2XCB (the Columbia
station hosted at WABC), W2XAD in Schenectady (General Electric's
station hosted at WGY) and the C.F. Jenkins station in Washington, DC.

James Snyder