[Tig] what are we going to do (monitors)

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Fri Mar 28 19:54:05 GMT 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 9:45 PM, Joe Owens wrote:

> Digital was supposed to mean "bulletproof"; ie what goes in is what
> comes out.... but its starting to shape up as... I dunno what it is
> anymore...
> codec, colorspace, LUTmap, gamma.... could be anything, its just a
> bag of data, maybe mis-identified, maybe mis-interpreted.
>
> I know one thing, and that is that no one (except old weirdos) looks
> at bars or lines anything up anymore.

I suppose it's as you say, the presumption of bulletproof-ness works
against us.

I would think that somebody could come up with (and perhaps already
has) a "Display-Workflow Monitoring Checklist" that would provide a
functioning model for monitoring and digitizing linearity, such that
we could try to keep the variables to a minimum.  But it may be
Herculean in nature, this task.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org  http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html