[Tig] what are we going to do (monitors)

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Mar 29 15:35:40 GMT 2008

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, glenn chan wrote:
> gamma, scaling (e.g. 0-255 vs 16-235), etc. etc.  It would be nice if
> the manufacturers figured out a common digital format for
> interchange... and/or perhaps a format that is the computer equivalent
> of SDI (with timecode information, vertical interval information,
> frame rate, embedded audio).

They already have one.  It is called ...

   ######  ######  #     #
   #     # #     #  #   #
   #     # #     #   # #
   #     # ######     #
   #     # #         # #
   #     # #        #   #
   ######  #       #     #

The DPX format supports everything you mention except for embedded
audio.  Video in DPX is truely the computer equivalent of SDI.
However, at least out outfit (S.two) has come up with a way to put
embedded audio in the DPX user part.

GraphicsMagick 1.2 (soon to be released) supports DPX video (YCbCr)
frames and understands Rec.601 and Rec.709 color transforms.  Since
the software is completely free, the marketing department advises me
not to make any promises regarding its suitability for use and the
sales department continues to complain about the absurd pricing model.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn