[Tig] what are we going to do (monitors)

Patrick Inhofer patrick at applePi.tv
Sun Mar 30 00:23:52 GMT 2008

On Mar 29, 2008, at 2:28 PM, Bob Kertesz wrote:

> But if a SINGLE light was turned on anywhere in the room (it was a
> largish
> conference room with room for about 100 people), and the light was
> just bright
> enough so you could recognize people's faces, the glass front of the
> CRT
> picked it up and raised the CRT blacks, and then the LCD had
> (significantly)
> deeper blacks than the CRT.

Now wait a second - aren't we supposed to set the CRT for the ambient
light level that we'll be working?

One setup isn't supposed to cover all ambient light settings, is it?
Maybe a recalibration would have shown that the CRT would have crushed
the blacks to compensate for the Kertesz Effect? Or maybe I've been
poorly taught?

I was speaking with a friend who reads tech manuals(!) about this sort
of stuff - he's noticed that the ambient light recommendation for the
new generation of Sony LCDs  is higher than what they've been
recommending (I assume, for the past 20+ years) with CRTs.

Might they be changing the(ir) rules in the middle of the inning?

- pi

- -
Patrick inhofer
Finisher-in-Chief