[Tig] what are we going to do (monitors)

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Sun Mar 30 14:55:33 BST 2008

On Mar 30, 2008, at 1:11 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> So phosphors reflect some light.  This is not surprising since CRT
> screens do not look pitch black when illuminated with a light.

Given the following conditions:

--a signal feeding your CRT (Sony BVM) is at 0(zero)
black level;

--the monitor is in underscan, which brings a blanking
mask very slightly into the frame

--black level adjustments (at user level) on the monitor
don't affect the blanking mask, but only the image within

--should the adjustable image black level just match (and
not drop "below," though care be taken that further
unseen excursions not be taken with the level) the black
level of the monitor blanking? This assumes the monitor
blanking serves as a reference.

Pluge in this situation is not available due to 0-level
clipping.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org  http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html