[Tig] what are we going to do (monitors)

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Sun Mar 30 16:55:14 BST 2008

>Why handle this issue as a perception issue?

Because as far as I'm concerned, in a situation where work for hire is being
done for money, that's exactly what it is.

It doesn't matter how precisely you measure anything if the producer,
director, or DP sitting behind you says "The blacks look too milky" and
there's nothing you can do about it.

Showing them the printouts of very precise measurements and saying, in effect,
"Who are you going to believe, these measurements or your lying eyes?" will
only make things worse.

I've been battling this on set (where it's MUCH tougher to control ambient
conditions than in a suite) for months now, and in the end I've had to say
"Look, I know this is not what you are used to, but this is the way everything
is headed because CRTs have been declared dead by Sony, and there's no going
back. The picture you're looking at is only valid if your head is directly
centered on the monitor, and even then the blacks will not look as deep as
you're used to seeing."

It's just a frigging nightmare sometimes.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTEĀ® compositing.