[Tig] Dreamcolor

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Wed Nov 19 22:54:29 GMT 2008

>How do you know that this is a "full 10 bit" panel

At some point one has to take the manufacturer's word for the performance and
specs of their products, until such time as they are found to be exaggerating
or liars.

>and what does that even mean?

To me, the difference between an 8 bit and a 10 bit panel is that when I'm
looking at an image with subtle gradation, the 10 bit display will show less
stepping than a panel rated at 8 bits.

Of course, that means that things have to be 10 bit all the way through the
chain, which is almost impossible considering the number of fools who have
access to hardware which can torture it. It's pretty much inevitable that
somewhere along the long road from shoot or transfer to TV, someone will round
or truncate the top smallest two bits. And most compression pretty much blows
all that away anyway, sucking mightily as it does.

But if I have a live camera that's putting out 4:2:2 10 bit HD-SDI, and I
convert that with some piece of hardware to HDMI 1.3 or better so it stays 10
bit, and I shoot a white cyc with a single light with an orange gel on it and
feed it to two monitors, one with an 8 bit panel and the other with a 10 bit
panel, I expect to see less banding/stepping on the 10 bit panel.

That's what 10 bit means to me.

What does it mean to you?

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTEĀ® compositing.