[Tig] Shrunken 35mm nitrate to HD-Spirit loses frame

Jeff Kreines jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 11 17:47:52 BST 2008

On Oct 10, 2008, at 5:37 PM, Bob Kertesz wrote:

> Is there some kind of ritual involved? Is the gaffer tape shredded
> to a fine
> dust, put into one of those incense burners the Catholics use in
> church, and
> waved over the Kinetta scanner (notice how I worked in the name just
> to give
> you a plug)?

Ha!

Powdered gaffer tape.  I found a couple of cases of Permacel gaffer
tape from 1981 in a closet I was cleaning out...  it still half-
worked, but was generating a little powder itself.

But I was referring to a piece of gaffer tape folded over a break in a
roll of 35mm film -- you can find really odd "splices" in rolls of
material that no one expected to be of future use.  Staples, masking
tape, packing tape, misaligned film -- all will pass through, though
there may be a jump in framing at the "splice."

The biggest time-saver is the fact you don't have to fix torn perfs.
As long as the splices hold (i.e. don't open up) the film will pass
through without problem (though staples could gouge the PTRs).

Jeff "finally shipping" Kreines