[Tig] Camera thoughts

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Fri Apr 3 17:58:53 BST 2009

On Apr 3, 2009, at 7:39 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> As reproduction technologies and implementations improve,
> inadequately captured content will become more and more obvious to
> the viewer and will become less valuable over time.

a few things occurred to me reading this Bob.  First, and forgive a
small digression, but what is 'inadequately captured content?'
musings:

content: that which an artist (assuming we're talking about an art
form) sees as raw material.
captured content: that which the artist can [sculpt, cleave, paint,
manipulate] from.   a block of granite, a
     series of image files.
inadequately captured content: raw material that doesn't cover the
range the artist needs (soft granite, truncated files).

I think the viewer is the audience, so it's up to the artist (DoP,
Director, Colorist, Art Director) to decide, instead of the viewer
(though you might have included the artist in the 'viewer' term).

At some point, engineering has to give way to the art, and the latter
is in its early stages, when it involves such ideas as
"shooting flat," "light it in [photoshop, Resolve, Baselight]."   The
art of filmmaking is evolving more toward post-production,
and the DoP's position is changing.   It's either an advancement or a
regression, or just inevitable.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org