[Tig] Sony Vialtas?

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Thu Apr 9 15:16:44 BST 2009

I never laid eyes on one, myself.  It was poorly regarded by a
regular contributor to the CML at the time, whose sig was "JS".  As I
recall, didn't it have some kind of capacitive sprocket "metaspeed"-
type pin registration system?  Anyway, SONY making telecines seemed
like a stretch, as difficult as marketing a personal computer made by
"Singer"?  And I'm not making that up, they really tried.  Its a
classic branding catastrophe.

> also, when I looked at a Vialta demo back in 2002 or so, it really
> looked good
> for HD.  I recall it as a sprocket-drive machine (watch out for neg
> damage
> possibilities) and that there were rumors it didn't handle splices
> very well- that
> in some cases the colorist when shuttling found the machine would
> stumble
> over them in some fashion.

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade