[Tig] FW: Film Grain. Possibly a momentous question.

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Mon Apr 27 18:01:51 BST 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 4:48 PM, Kevin Shaw wrote:

>> My question to the Tig would be does grain (or even noise in
>> electronic
>> cameras) make an image seem more real?

without getting into the philological aspects of 'real,'  I think
grain adds an
impressionistic veneer to film, in fact somewhat a removal from
reality, such
that we're reminded we're not watching a sports program or a soap opera.

Used to be you could tell a soap by the organ music, but I think Dick
Hyman
doesn't do soaps any more.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByULkdy8bWw
try to disregard the sync problem.

--