[Tig] Dates?

Mark Sweeney Mark.Sweeney at starz.com
Tue Aug 11 21:28:56 BST 2009

Back when I started in the wonderful world of TV ('76 in Australia) they already had in place 5 Cintel telecines.

1x Cintel plumbicon based machine. I think it had a Bauer(sp?) 16mm mechanism on one side and 2x 35mm slide trays on the other with the usual mirror to change sides. It produced the worst pictures you can imagine! Noise and lag were horrendous! The 16mm Bauer also had a tendency to shred the sprocket holes! As far as I can tell no one has ever heard of this machine - even old Cintel people I have mention it to! The pictures were so bad maybe everyone really just hoped it would never, ever be mentioned again!

3x MKII machines which were pretty damn good! A fresh CRT and you had beautiful pictures.

1x MKVIII 35mm flying spot slide scanner which was good and had a similar slide mechanism to the plumbicon machine. The 2x slide trays moved horizontal and allowed a vertical gear driven rod (that only occasionally missed the edge of the slide) raise the slide into the optical path. I think a mirror split the CRT path so you could have a PGM/PVW path. It came with a fade/mix control that allowed you to mix between slides and would automatically advance each slide once the fade was completed.

Memories....

Mark Sweeney