[Tig] RED Workflow

Lucas Wilson lucas at assimilateinc.com
Wed Feb 4 19:06:54 GMT 2009

Micah,

The short answer is, "yes, there are lots of decent workflows for RED to
DPX."

If you are rendering with REDCINE, then the best thing to do for a Resolve
is probably to remove the camera metadata (ctrl+reset in Color) and then
apply PDLog685, which gets you the closest to a "standard" Cineon curve.
This will provide maximum range.

Rendering to REC709 is not bad, especially if the final output is video, but
chances are that you will be losing some info at the bottom.

There are several shops in LA (and a couple in NYC) that I know that are
quite successfully doing DPX renders out of either REDCINE, RED Rushes, or
SCRATCH-CINE to feed a Resolve. (disclaimer: I work for ASSIMILATE, which
makes SCRATCH-CINE.)

Best,

Lucas Wilson