[Tig] Who will bail out the broadcasters?

Robert Lund lundo at lundissimo.info
Fri Feb 6 19:15:15 GMT 2009

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> Today I read this article about how the analog cut-off slip will cost
> a broadcast station $64,000, and another station $60,000
> (http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2009/02/02/daily52.html
> and
> http://www.mpnnow.com/news/x955247485/Area-TV-stations-weigh-costs-of-digital-delay).

But as stated in the article, "Stations can file a waiver allowing them
to convert to digital this month, as initially planned". I'm not clear
on why stations concerned about the cost of the delay wouldn't do that.
> It seems that Congress did not consider the plight of the broadcaster
> when it extended the cut-off date.
It seems that, as is so often the case, there are other forces at play:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/01/4g-war-conflict-of-interests-loom-behind-possible-dtv-delay.ars

RL