[Tig] (newbie) whitepoint troubles

Jim Houston jdhouston at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 9 20:12:49 GMT 2009

On Feb 9, 2009, at 9:44 AM, Owen Williams wrote:

> and got a new monitor which I had calibrated.
>
> To me, it looks noticeably red,

You don't mention what kind of monitor you bought, but I will assume
that it is an LCD.

If so, one of the differences is that many LCDs have a very spiky
spectrum (more so than the doped red of old CRTs).  Individuals
see colors that are very spikey differently since there is variation
from one set of eyeballs to another.  It is possible that even if
you had the monitors set to the same white point by the meter
that they would look different to you.

> my el cheapo meter
> as .307, .313 instead of Rec 709 standard .313, .329.

cheapo color meters (colorimeters) that have been designed for rec709
usage are
usually pretty good.  You would want to make sure though that you are
using one
designed for monitors, not a general point and shoot, because the
refresh rates
and spectrum could cause measurement errors in a non-monitor
colorimeter.

> Are there any exercises I can do to retrain my brain to see the
> correct
> hues,

Not exactly.   White point adaptation of the eye is the key and
happens automatically.
But you can help it along.   Having a D65 light source can sometimes
help
adjust to what the 'normal' white should be.  Don't just look at a
white image
on the monitor.  Use several images each of which have substantial
white in
them but have warm to cool timings. (so the whites look different to
you on
your monitor).  If all cases still appear pinkish, another cheat is
to use
a tungsten backlight to the monitor (the surround brightness should
be around
10% of the monitor)   and to change the bezel and surround
of the monitor so that is a little warmer grey.  This should make the
eye
see the monitor as a little cooler than the surround and the 'pink' feel
may go away.

> I also
> have the evil temptation to brute-force my monitor to look like how
> I'm
> used to seeing it, and just continuing to correct with the wrong white
> point.

Yes, that is Evil.

Jim Houston
Starwatcher Digital