[Tig] Archiving Digital footage

Jack James jack at surrealroad.com
Sat Feb 21 09:59:45 GMT 2009

I've always used LTO3. I use the built-in windows backup, although the
performance isn't as good. I used to use HP or Symantec software for
backups, but the problem with this is that they both format the tapes using
proprietary system, which means that in a few years time (or if it needs to
be sent somewhere else), it's not likely i'll be able to find the right
software to decompress it. Windows backup on the other hand, hasn't changed
at all in the way it formats for several years, so compatibility in the
future is much more likely.
Recently though, I've been looking into other options.
I like the idea of dumping a load of data on a drobo and then booting it up
once a year to check for corruption, as I believe this will lead to a more
cost-effective system in the long run.

--
Surreal Road
Emmunicate Insatiably...

Please recycle this email to prevent excess bytes clogging up the internet