[Tig] Archiving Digital footage

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Tue Feb 24 06:01:26 GMT 2009

Hi, Peter,

You might want to look through the AMIA-List archives,
Search page:  http://lsv.uky.edu/scripts/wa.exe?S1=amia-l

as this subject has been popping up there over more than three years
that I've been reading that list.

One Subject to look for is "[AMIA-L] Recrunching the numbers on
storage costs" which Jim Lindner did on June 24, 2008.

The topic came up Dec. 23-26 on the list under "LTO" in a thread
started by Martha Singer.  Jim Lindner and several other people piped
up.

And it's come up most recently on Feb. 6-13 under the subject "Re:
[AMIA-L] Archiving Video"

Main link:	http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/amia-l.html

Hope this is helpful to you and other TIG'ers.

Ted

On Feb 23, 2009, at 11:32 AM, White Peter Mr (EAFA) wrote:
> That's quite interesting, because we're actually going the other way
> - currently storing everything on HDD, but looking to go LTO
> (because of the price) is just cheaper.
>
> How much corruption detection does LTO require?  How often do tapes
> need to be checked?
>
> If anybody could spare a few minutes to write down a quick list of
> software too that'd aid me greatly.  Starting from scratch is always
> more difficult than having a bit of information to start one's
> research from.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter White
> Head of Technical Development
>
> East Anglian Film Archive

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:   (530) 741-1212
Skype: 	TedLangdell

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974