[Tig] Toggle back to the source

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Wed Jan 7 16:50:53 GMT 2009

It follows from the maxim "to do no harm", where there is plenty of
potential for it.  It varies as to whether there is any value in
toggling the grade "out" to look back at where we started from.   DPs
ask for it all the time to evaluate their own performance -- how many
points up or down, colour trim for lighting, etc.  If you're actually
"correcting" for bad original, there is sometimes value in making
sure that excessive noise isn't being introduced, or key values
aren't being adversely affected, flesh tone, costuming, etc.  On the
other hand, if its an extreme grade/look, there's no point at all,
for instance if an extreme wash has been dropped over the whole
picture, or its been color-stripped to black&white, or bleach-
bypassed, or any number of other treatments that has nothing to do
with the original values.

Yet it is most of time gratifying to hear the client gasp.  Most have
no idea what kind of potential is lying dormant in their material...
or that their story is languishing behind scene-to-scene
discontinuity that is destroying a viewer's suspension of disbelief.
Its intensely rewarding to go from "why would anyone do that?" to
"why doesn't everyone do this?"...

> Yet with color correction, it's a pretty widely accepted practice
> (it seems to me after watching a lot of different colorists run
> sessions) to at least toggle back to the original source footage. I
> attribute this to several things including showing your value to
> the client and assessing if there's anything in your correction
> that compares unfavorably in any way to the original source.
>
> Any thoughts on the value of toggling back to view the original
> source material? Just a conversation starter more than anything else.

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5H0N4