[Tig] tig: Blue Ray & HD

Adrian Thomas adrian at autotv.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 21:24:44 GMT 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 19:22, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2009, at 5:09 PM, peter stansfield wrote:
>
>> the farouja engine in my projector, on an 8 foot screen is the
>> sound! - Blu Ray / HD DVD kicks like nothing SD
>
> what is the sound spec for sampling and bit depth on Blu Ray or
> other formats?

There is a plethora of different audio standards, and not all players
support all of them, but the best are "HD" (>48k 16bit) PCM formats
(or PCM surround) and the worst are the same as DVD-V. Some features
that I've seen have audio bandwidths over 3Mbps (check out the last
Pirates of the Caribbean BD, the sound is superb).

--
Adrian Thomas
AUTOMATIC TELEVISION