[Tig] tig:Blu (e) Ray & HD Audio

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Jan 12 16:52:17 GMT 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Nick Johnson wrote:

> I don't think the "methodology" can be challenged.  It is technically sound.
>
> What can be challenged in ANY study is how it is conducted so their choice
> of test subjects (listeners), amplifiers, speakers, listening room, etc. can
> be the subject of valid debate but don't malign a study the Audio
> Engineering Society felt sufficiently credible to publish with a statement
> that implies "everything" was passed through the same 16 bit 44.1 KHz A/D/A
> guaranteeing the same result.  That is NOT what it says!

The study is clearly not "beyond reproach" because essentially no
technical details have been provided at all which allow someone to
understand what was done, or reproduce the experiment.  Without the
details which allow someone to technically evaluate what was done, and
independently reproduce the study, this report is no better than a
report in the Weekly World News that someone has achieved "cold
fusion" in their basement.

The first thing I saw which is suspect is the continued lumping
together of "SACD and DVD-A" which are totally different technologies.
In fact, you can not properly record or mix SACD using normal
professional recording gear.  Only a limited number of sites in the
world are prepared to do it.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn