[Tig] Flanders Scientific "Grade" monitor

Owen Williams owen at ywwg.com
Fri Jul 17 05:50:34 BST 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 16:05 -0400, Robert Houllahan wrote:

> > For starters, I haven't seen it, preliminary casual reports are
> > moderately surprised with performance...
>
> 8bit fluorescent backlight lcd panel  isn't a RGB led panel with a Aja
> or Decklink SDi converter the same thing or better for 1/3 the price?
> How about a Pioneer Kuro 50" with a SDI converter? Isn't that better
> for $5K?

Having used a few of the "budget" panels now, including a panasonic 24",
Dreamcolor+HDLink Pro (in my own suite), jvc 24", and briefly a small
sony LCD, I've come to the conclusion that a Dreamcolor + Gefen
converter is the combination to beat.  With most of those monitors at
the <5K$ level you get horrible off-axis performance, meh edge-to-edge
brightness, and foggy blacklevels.  The HP is significantly better than
any of the others.

I had early problems not understanding the limitations of the panel and
had been considering replacing it with a monitor meant for video, but
based on my experience with those other monitors, I'm trading in my
hdlink and buying a gefen tomorrow (which will unlock full 10-bit
support).  The price on the HP has come down enough that even after
tacking on the grand for the gefen it's still a steal.

(not associated with hp / gefen / etc)

Owen Williams

--
Online Editor / Colorist