[Tig] LCD monitors and rebranding

Bram Desmet bram at dandesmet.com
Fri Jul 17 20:53:52 BST 2009

To clear this up, FSI monitors are NOT rebranded Ikegami or JVC monitors.
None of the hardware (not even the LCD panel, which of course can only be
sourced from a handful of companies) is the same between FSI and either of
those two other brands.  We also don't use a generic video processing chip
(like Genesis or Gennum VXP), it is essentially a giant FPGA that is
programmed from the ground up for lack of a better way to phrase it. In
fact, you'd be hard pressed to find something even remotely similar in terms
of hardware used (and design philosophy implemented) on the market, much
less a carbon copy.

We absolutely do not market this as monitor for us in a true telecine
application. When we walk into a post production facility we actually tell
people right away that we feel the monitor is well suited for most
applications short of a telecine environment.  My humble opinion is that
even some of the $15,000 to $30,000 LCD solutions on the market won't get
the job done for these highly color critical applications.  However, for
other broadcast or post production applications there is a need for a
broadcast monitor, with broadcast features, to replace aging CRTs...that is
the role we try to fill.

Hope this reads as little as possible like a sales pitch, just want to clear
up some misconceptions.

Feel free to contact me off-list if preferred.

Bram Desmet
Bram at FlandersScientific.com
404.610.1940