[Tig] Scanner Accuracy

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Jul 21 02:03:19 BST 2009

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, Chris wrote:

> Can I get some suggestions and/or history lessons on what the industry
> determines the best method for determining accuracy (sharpness) of a film
> scanning system?  I have spoke to some that have suggested a D.E.L. chart.
> I have managed to get a few frames of the film, but need some advice on
> scoring my results.

While the resolution chart is useful (and someone should be in the
business of selling one), it is best not to confuse sharpness with
accuracy.  While sharpness is often a component of accuracy, sometimes
apparent sharpness could actually be a defect.

Within the past year there was a discussion on this list of sharpness
charts and at that time we found a number of freely available
resolution test charts (images) which could be printed on a computer
printer.  If you have access to a high-grade camera, or film printer,
you could make your own test film from one of these.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn