[Tig] Scanner Accuracy

peter_swinson at compuserve.com peter_swinson at compuserve.com
Tue Jul 21 18:04:32 BST 2009

Chris wrote regarding DEL test film

?

I have found that this film is no longer available are there others to replace the D.E.L.?

?

I understand that this film is no longer available although, no doubt the method of production could still be had, should someone take up the mantle.

?

I understand that Stan Dickenson, the guy that made D.E.L., used very high resolution black & white stock that was not exposed by a film camera and lens, but was exposed using the same method that computer components are etched. Stan had contacts in the IC fabrication plant industry.

?

The process was obviously very expensive and slow, but did produce film, B&W, with incredible resolution. While at Cintel we got Stan to make some very, very high resolution test film, from charts we designed to check out the design stages of several 4K scanners. Looking at DEL and the film he had made for Cintel, I think, 4K modulation bars, the modulation was still 100% well beyond 4K. This proved very useful material as we did not have to calculate which losses were film and which were optics etc.

?

Alas, Stan ceased making material long ago, else some of the Cintel film may have been available for sale.

?

Cheers

?

Peter