[Tig] further back in time

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Sat Jul 25 22:58:22 BST 2009

Edison showed his Kinetoscope films in 1891
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetoscope ):
In the first Kinetograph application, Edison stated, "I have been able
to take with a single camera and a tape-film as many as forty-six
photographs per second...but I do not wish to limit the scope of my
invention to this high rate of speed...since with some subjects a
speed as low as thirty pictures per second or even lower is
sufficient."   I believe these were films printed on paper.

The U.S. Library of Congress allows download of many of these films on
the web:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/awlhtml/workleistitlindex1.html

in addition to other films made from 1894 to 1915.   The _Charleston
Chain Gang_ is one
of my favorites, along with _A Rube at a County Fair_.

--
Rob Lingelbach    TIG admin.founder
rob at colorist.org