[Tig] further back in time - Paper Prints

Jeff Kreines jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 27 12:11:26 BST 2009

On Jul 25, 2009, at 5:25 PM, Alan Rosenfeld wrote:

> As a point of fact, in order to copyright films with The Library of
> Congress in the early days of motion pictures the negative was printed
> to long rolls of photographic paper and kept in cabinets at the LoC
> with the earlier years kept on the lower shelves, later on higher.
> Many of these prints were destroyed by rats and such that infested the
> lower shelves.  I took a course in film school on DW Griffith's first
> year as director for Biograph - 1908.  The prints they showed us were
> resurrected by shooting optical negs from the then recently discovered
> paper prints - luckily they were on a high shelf.

We built a new digital scanner for the paper print project a few
years ago, and just delivered a brand new scanner for film and paper
prints to the LOC.  There's some dated information in a piece I wrote
that you can download as a PDF from homepage.mac.com/kinetta, and
scroll down to PaperPrint2009LowRes.  (The high res version is too
big --38MB.)

The original film negs shot off the paper prints were pretty bad --
lots of registration problems, and plenty of printed-in dirt, dust,
and scratches.  This was a perfect thing to do digitally.

Jeff "archival only, really, and just for information, honest" Kreines
Kinetta