[Tig] Negative developing and ARRILaser

Frank Hellmann frank at opticalart.de
Tue Jul 28 16:55:54 BST 2009

Hi Liao,

Liao Zhuodi schrieb:
> We got a local Cinelab that they want to change the speed for the negative
> going through the soup. Because there is a DI facility complains that their
> 4 ArriLasers can not achieve the maximum density on red layer for the 5242
> Kodak stock developing, the maximum red density we talk about is around
> 1.96, and they can only achieve 1.91, the ARRI engineer does not know why.
> So they negotiate with the Cinelab, the lab slows down the speed by 6 feet
> (per second? not sure), so the negative stays longer in the soup than
> before, and the overall density goes up. But, at the same time, our
> arrilaser is fine, and can achieve the maximum red density on developed
> film, which means the Cinelab developing is fine, and our ArriLaser is fine
> too.
>
> My doubts are:
>
> 1) Does Cinelab have a standard for developing? If so, why our local Cinelab
> change the speed according to some clients demand.

Usually Labs try to stick to the "Kodak Norm".  The speedchange could
also be related to a completely different problem: Color Management. If
they do use a CMS setting that is not right for their setup, or none at
all, a way to compensate is to tinker with the developing time and
temperature. We did this round 2000 to get better results out of the
arrilaser when we had no CMS for the recorder.
> 2) If the overall density goes up, and i should change the calibration LUT
> in my arrilaser to make the 21 step Kodak sweep according to standards, less
> laser power can achieve more density, does it mean we can get less grains or
> noise on the negative?

Sort of (not being a lab technician), but this will be probably
countered by the longer development time and the resulting longer time
grains can grow and the increased contrast. So, for a slight difference
in time, I would not expect to see a big difference.

Be aware that this processing is increasing contrast as well, as opposed
to just overall density.
> 3) If the negative stay longer in the soup, other than density changes, is
> there any other aftermath brought to the negative?

Not that I am aware of, but you might want to check that with the
Kodak/Fuji/Agfa... Technicians.

       Best,

             Frank...

OPTICAL ART             Film & Special-Effects GmbH    Waterloohain 6-8
Frank Hellmann          DI Supervisor                  22769 Hamburg
frank at opticalart.de     http://www.opticalart.de
Tel: +49 40 5111051     Fax: +49 40 43169499

Sitz der Gesellschaft:  Hamburg, Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 384 70
Geschäftsführer:        Christian Burgdorff, Harald Lehmann
Niederlassung Berlin    Skalitzer Straße 104               10997 Berlin
Niederlassung Frankfurt Hanauer Landstraße 163-171      60314 Frankfurt
Niederlassung Halle     Mansfelderstrasse 56                06108 Halle
OPTICAL ART             Digital & Film GmbH          Graf Adolf Str. 22
Frank Hellmann          DI Supervisor                  40212 Düsseldorf
frank at opticalart.de     http://www.opticalart.de
Tel: +49 211 828590

Sitz der Gesellschaft:    Düsseldorf, Amtsgericht Düsseldorf HRB 38 132
Geschäftsführer:                    Christian Burgdorff, Harald Lehmann