[Tig] Linux to Windows File Sharing

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Mar 2 17:09:19 GMT 2009

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009, ilampooranan wrote:

> We were aware that, SAMBA is very slower than FTP. We got one possibilities
> that, Service for Unix (SFU) from Windows side. Speed wise it is same like
> SAMBA Service.

In my experience, Samba file transfer performance should not be
noticeably slower than FTP.  Both Samba (CIFS) and FTP rely on the
same underlying transfer protocol (TCP).  If your Samba server is much
slower than FTP, then there is either something wrong with your Samba
server, or the Windows client program.  Some Windows client programs
may request tiny amounts of data at a time rather than amounts large
enough to be sufficient for Samba.  If this is the case then try a
different Windows client program.

I am very impressed with the bulk transfer performace over gigabit
ethernet between my Windows XP clients and my Samba/Unix servers.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn